Terms & Policies
Domain Registration Terms
March 27, 2019
In this Service Agreement ("Agreement") "you" and "your" refer to each customer, "we", us" and "our" refer to DreamHost.com and "Services" refers to the services provided by us. This Agreement explains our obligations to you, and explains your obligations to us for various Services. By selecting our Services you have agreed to establish an account with us for such Services. When you use your account or permit someone else to use it to purchase or otherwise acquire access to additional Services or to cancel your Services (even if we were not notified of such authorization), this Agreement covers such service or actions. By using the Services under this Agreement, you acknowledge that you have read and agree to be bound by all terms and conditions of this Agreement and any pertinent rules or policies that are or may be published by us.
Please see also: ICANN's Registrant Rights and Responsibilities:
Selection of a Domain Name
We cannot and do not check to see whether the domain name you select, or the use you make of the domain name, infringes legal rights of any third party. We urge you to investigate to see whether the domain name you select or its use infringes legal rights of others, and in particular we suggest you seek advice of competent counsel. You may wish to consider seeking one or more trademark registrations in connection with your domain name. You should be aware that there is the possibility we might be ordered by a court to cancel, modify, or transfer your domain name. You should be aware that if we are sued or threatened with lawsuit in connection with your domain name, we may turn to you to hold us harmless and indemnify us.
Fees, Payment & Term
As consideration for the services you have selected, you agree to pay us the applicable service(s) fees. All fees payable hereunder are non-refundable unless we provide otherwise. As further consideration for the Services, you agree to: (1) provide certain current, complete and accurate information about you as required by the registration process and (2) maintain and update this information as needed to keep it current, complete and accurate. All such information shall be referred to as account information ("Account Information").
The fee for all domain registrations is variable and dependent on the TLD chosen. Pricing is displayed during the registration and renewal process. A one-year .com, .net, .org, .info, .global, .shop, .club, or .online domain registration is included free with 1-year or 3-year Starter and Unlimited shared hosting and DreamPress plans. Downgrading from annual to monthly shared hosting, or canceling your plan within the 97-day guarantee, will result in a charge for the free domain registration. The free domain cannot be combined with any other promotions or offers. Also, sale prices do not apply to domain transfers.
You hereby grant us the right to disclose to third parties such Account Information. The Registrant, by completing and submitting the Domain Name Registration Agreement ("Registration Agreement"), represents that the statements in its application are true and that the registration of the selected Domain Name, so far as the Registrant is aware, does not interfere with or infringe upon the rights of any third party. The Registrant also represents that the Domain Name is not being registered for any unlawful purpose. Willful provision of inaccurate or unreliable Account Information, willful failure to promptly update Account Information provided to DreamHost upon its change, or failure to respond for over fifteen (15) calendar days to inquiries by DreamHost concerning the accuracy of Account Information is a basis for cancellation of the registration.
You authorize DreamHost to act as your "Designated Agent" to approve each "Change of Registrant" on your behalf (both terms are defined in ICANN's Transfer Policy). Also, we will automatically implement a 60-day domain transfer lock following a "Change of Registrant" per ICANN's new Transfer Policy unless customer opts-out when submitting request.
List of Current TLDs and Pricing per Year
Modifications To Agreement
You agree, during the period of this Agreement, that we may: (1) revise the terms and conditions of this Agreement; and (2) change the services provided under this Agreement. Any such revision or change will be binding and effective immediately on posting of the revised Agreement or change to the service(s) on our web site, or on notification to you by e-mail or regular mail as per the Notices section of this agreement, Section 20. You agree to review our web site, including the Agreement, periodically to be aware of any such revisions. If you do not agree with any revision to the Agreement, you may terminate this Agreement at any time by providing us with notice by e-mail or regular mail as per the Notices section of this agreement, Section 20. Notice of your termination will be effective on receipt and processing by us. You agree that, by continuing to use the Services following notice of any revision to this Agreement or change in service(s), you abide by any such revisions or changes. You further agree that we, in our sole discretion, may modify our Dispute Policy at any time. You agree that, by maintaining the reservation or registration of your domain name after modifications to the Dispute Policy become effective, you have agreed to these modifications. You acknowledge that if you do not agree to any such modifications, you may request that your domain name be deleted from the domain name database.
Modifications To Your Account
In order to change any of your account information with us, you must use your Account Identifier and Password that you selected when you opened your account with us. Please safeguard your Account Identifier and Password from any unauthorized use. In no event will we be liable for the unauthorized use or misuse of your Account Identifier or Password.
Domain Name Dispute Policy
If you reserved or registered a domain name through us, or transferred a domain name to us from another registrar, you agree to be bound by our current Domain Name Dispute Policy ("Dispute Policy") which is incorporated herein and made a part of this Agreement by reference. The current version of the Dispute Policy may be found at our web site: https://www.dreamhost.com/legal/domain-name-dispute-resolution-policy/. Please take the time to familiarize yourself with said policy.
Domain Name Disputes
You agree that, if the registration or reservation of your domain name is challenged by a third party, you will be subject to the provisions specified in the Dispute Policy in effect at the time of the dispute. You agree that in the event a domain name dispute arises with any third party, you will indemnify and hold us harmless pursuant to the terms and conditions contained in the Dispute Policy. For any dispute, you agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the courts of your domicile, the courts of the geographic location indicated by your WHOIS information for your domain name, the courts of Brea, CA (DreamHost headquarters), and any other potentially applicable jurisdictions.
You agree that, if an agent for you (i.e., an Internet Service Provider, employee, etc.) purchased our Services on your behalf, you are nonetheless bound as a principal by all terms and conditions herein, including the Dispute Policy.
We reserve the right to distribute information to you that is pertinent to the quality or operation of our services and those of our service partners. These announcements will be predominately informative in nature and may include notices describing changes, upgrades, new products or other information to add security or to enhance your identity on the Internet.
Limitation of Liability
You agree that our entire liability, and your exclusive remedy, with respect to any Services(s) provided under this Agreement and any breach of this Agreement is solely limited to the amount you paid for such Service(s). We and our contractors shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special or consequential damages resulting from the use or inability to use any of the Services or for the cost of procurement of substitute services. Because some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages, in such states, our liability is limited to the extent permitted by law. We disclaim any and all loss or liability resulting from, but not limited to: (1) loss or liability resulting from access delays or access interruptions; (2) loss or liability resulting from data non-delivery or data mis-delivery; (3) loss or liability resulting from acts of God; (4) loss or liability resulting from the unauthorized use or misuse of your Account Identifier or Password; (5) loss or liability resulting from errors, omissions, or misstatements in any and all information or services(s) provided under this Agreement; (6) loss or liability resulting from the development or interruption of your Web site or email service. The registrant agrees that we will not be liable for any loss of registration and use of registrant's domain name, or for interruption of business, or any indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages of any kind (including lost profits) regardless of the form of action whether in contract, tort (including negligence), or otherwise, even if we have been advised of the possibility of such damages. In no event shall our maximum liability exceed five hundred ( $500.00) dollars.
You agree to release, indemnify, and hold DreamHost, its affiliates and business partners, and any applicable domain name registry, including without limitation VeriSign, Inc., Afilias Limited, Public Interest Registry, Global.Name Registry, and their respective subsidiaries and affiliates, and the directors, officers, employees and agents of each of them, harmless from all liabilities, claims and expenses, including attorney's fees, of third parties relating to or arising under this Agreement, the Services provided hereunder or your use of the Services, including without limitation infringement by you, or someone else using the E-mail Service with your computer, of any intellectual property or other proprietary right of any person or entity, or from the violation of any of our operating rules or policy relating to the service(s) provided. You also agree to release, indemnify and hold said parties harmless pursuant to the terms and conditions contained in the Dispute Policy. When we are threatened with suit by a third party, we may seek written assurances from you concerning your promise to indemnify us; your failure to provide those assurances may be considered by us to be a breach of your Agreement and may result in deactivation of your domain name.
You agree that failure to abide by any provision of this Agreement, any operating rule or policy or the Dispute Policy provided by us, may be considered by us to be a material breach and that we may provide a written notice, describing the breach, to you. If within thirty (30) calendar days of the date of such notice, you fail to provide evidence, which is reasonably satisfactory to us, that you have not breached your obligations under the Agreement, then we may delete the registration or reservation of your domain name or terminate your e-mail account without further notice. Any such breach by you shall not be deemed to be excused simply because we did not act earlier in response to that, or any other breach by you.
You agree that, by registration or reservation of your chosen domain name, such registration or reservation does not confer immunity from objection to either the registration, reservation, or use of the domain name.
Disclaimer of Warranties
You agree and warrant that the information that you provide to us to register or reserve your domain name or register for other Services is, to the best of your knowledge and belief, accurate and complete, and that any future changes to this information will be provided to us in a timely manner according to the modification procedures in place at that time. You agree that your use of our Services is solely at your own risk. You agree that such Service(s) is provided on an "as is," "as available" basis. we expressly disclaims all warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. We make no warranty that the Services will meet your requirements, or that the Service(s) will be uninterrupted, timely, secure, or error free; nor do we make any warranty as to the results that may be obtained from the use of the Service(s) or as to the accuracy or reliability of any information obtained through the our e-mail service or that defects in the Services software will be corrected. You understand and agree that any material and/or data downloaded or otherwise obtained through the use of the our e-mail service is done at your own discretion and risk and that you will be solely responsible for any damage to your computer system or loss of data that results from the download of such material and/or data. We make no warranty regarding any goods or services purchased or obtained through the e-mail service or any transactions entered into through the e-mail service. No advice or information, whether oral or written, obtained by you from us or through the e-mail service shall create any warranty not expressly made herein. Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of certain warranties, so some of the above exclusions may not apply to you.
You agree that we may delete your domain name or terminate your right to use other Services if the information that you provided to register or reserve your domain name or register for other Services, or subsequently to modify it, contains false or misleading information, or conceals or omits any information we would likely consider material to our decision to register or reserve your domain name. You agree that we may, in our sole discretion, delete or transfer your domain name at any time. You agree that your Registered Name shall be subject to suspension, cancellation, or transfer pursuant to any ICANN adopted specification or policy, or pursuant to any registrar or registry procedure not inconsistent with an ICANN adopted specification or policy, (1) to correct mistakes by Registrar or the Registry Operator in registering the name or (2) for the resolution of disputes concerning the Registered Name.
Right of Refusal
We, in our sole discretion, reserve the right to refuse to register or reserve your chosen domain name or register you for other Services, or to delete your domain name within thirty (30) calendar days from receipt of your payment for such services. In the event we do not register or reserve your domain name or register you for other Services, or we delete your domain name or other Services within such thirty (30) calendar day period, we agree to refund your applicable fee(s). You agree that we shall not be liable to you for loss or damages that may result from our refusal to register or reserve, or delete your domain name or register you for other Services.
You agree that the terms of this Agreement are severable. If any term or provision is declared invalid or unenforceable, that term or provision will be construed consistent with applicable law as nearly as possible to reflect the original intentions of the parties, and the remaining terms and provisions will remain in full force and effect.
Nothing contained in this Agreement or the Dispute Policy shall be construed as creating any agency, partnership, or other form of joint enterprise between the parties.
Our failure to require performance by the Registrant of any provision hereof shall not affect the full right to require such performance at any time thereafter; nor shall the waiver by us of a breach of any provision hereof be taken or held to be a waiver of the provision itself.
Any notice, direction or other communication given under this Agreement shall be in writing and given by sending it via e-mail or via regular mail. In the case of e-mail, valid notice shall only have been deemed to have been given when an electronic confirmation of delivery has been obtained by the sender, in the case of notice to us to email@example.com or, in the case of notice to you, at the e-mail address provided by you in your Affiliate Program application or as updated from time to time. Mail shall be sent to "DreamHost", PMB #257, 417 Associated Rd., Brea, CA USA and to you at the mailing address provided in your Affiliate application or as updated from time to time. Any e-mail communication shall be deemed to have been validly and effectively given on the date of such communication, if such date is a business day and such delivery was made prior to 4:00 p.m. (Pacific time) and otherwise on the next business day. Any communication sent via regular mail shall be deemed to have been validly and effectively given 5 business days after the date of mailing.
You agree that this Agreement, the rules and policies published us and the Dispute Policy are the complete and exclusive agreement between you and us regarding our Services. This Agreement and the Dispute Policy supersede all prior agreements and understandings, whether established by custom, practice, policy or precedent.
This agreement shall be governed by and interpreted and enforced in accordance with the laws of state of california and the federal laws of united states of america applicable therein without reference to rules governing choice of laws. Any action relating to this agreement must be brought in california and you irrevocably consent to the jurisdiction of such courts.
You attest that you are of legal age to enter into this Agreement.
Acceptance Of Agreement
You acknowledge that you have read this agreement and agree to all its terms and conditions. You have independently evaluated the desirability of participating in the affiliate network and are not relying on any representation, guarantee or statement other than as set forth in this agreement.
Additional Registry Requirements
The following provisions are examples of terms and conditions that apply to domain names you register through DreamHost (other examples include .lawyer, .irish, etc.). Please note that certain registries require additional terms and conditions that will apply to your domain registration. For a list of TLDs and applicable terms that will apply, please see: http://www.enom.com/terms/terms-registration-additional.aspx. DreamHost is not responsible for your account being disabled or closed due to your failure to comply with the registry's conditions!
- .info With respect to any registration of a .INFO second level domain name, you agree to the following terms:
- You consent to the use, copying, distribution, publication, modification and other processing of Registered Name Holder's Personal Data by Registry Operator and its designees and agents in a manner consistent with the purposes specified pursuant to its contract.
- You agree to submit to proceedings commenced under ICANN's Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy ("UDRP") and the Sunrise Dispute Resolution Policy ("SDRP"); These policies are subject to modification by Afilias in its discretion.
- You agree to immediately correct and update the registration information for the Registered Name during the registration term for the Registered Name. Failure to correct this information shall constitute a breach of this Agreement.
- You acknowledge that Afilias, the registry operator for the .INFO top-level domain will have no liability of any kind for any loss or liability resulting from the proceedings and processes relating to the Sunrise Period or the Land Rush Period, including, without limitation: (a) the ability or inability of a registrant to obtain a Registered Name during these periods, and (b) the results of any dispute over a Sunrise Registration.
- DreamHost and Afilias, the registry operator for the .INFO top-level domain expressly reserve the right to deny, cancel or transfer any registration that either shall deem necessary, in its discretion, to protect the integrity and stability of the .INFO registry, to comply with any applicable laws, government rules or requirements, requests of law enforcement, in compliance with any dispute resolution process, or to avoid any liability, civil or criminal, on the part of DreamHost and/or Afilias as well as their affiliates, subsidiaries, officers, directors and employees. DreamHost and Afilias also reserve the right to lock a domain name during resolution of a dispute.
- .name Provision of Registration Data is as follows:
- As part of the registration process, you are required to provide us with certain information and to update this information to keep it current, complete and accurate. This information includes the information contained in the Whois directory, including: (i) your full name and postal address, email address, voice telephone number, and fax number, if available; (ii) the IP addresses and names of the primary nameserver and any secondary nameserver(s) for the domain name; (iii) the full name, postal address, email address, voice telephone number, and fax number, if available, of the technical contact for the domain name; (iv) the full name, postal address, email address, voice telephone number, and fax number if available of the administrative contact for the domain name; (v) the name, postal address, email address, voice telephone number, and fax number, if available, of the billing contact for the domain name. You agree and understand that the foregoing registration data will be publicly available and accessible on the Whois directory as required by Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers ("ICANN"). You further understand that the foregoing registration data may be transferred outside of the European Community, such as to the United States, and you expressly consent to such export.
- You hereby represent and warrant the data provided in the registration application is true, correct, up-to-date and complete and that you will continue to keep all of the information provided up-to-date. Your willful provision of inaccurate or unreliable information, your willful failure promptly to update information provided to us, or any failure to respond to our inquiries addressed to the email address of the administrative, billing or technical contact then appearing in the Whois directory with respect to a domain name concerning the accuracy of contact details associated with any registration(s) or the registration of any domain name(s) registered by or through you or your account shall constitute a breach of this Agreement. Any information collected by us concerning an identified or identifiable natural person ("Personal Data") will be used in connection with the registration of your domain name(s) and for the purposes of this Agreement and as required or permitted by the ICANN Agreement or an ICANN policy. The Global Name Registry, Limited ("Registry Operator") may share your personal data with third parties that act as subcontractors to it for the purposes of this Agreement, and you agree that your personal data may be shared with Registry Operator's subcontractors. You also agree that from time to time, Registry Operator may share some of your personal data, such as your address and postcode, with third parties who are conducting, on behalf of Registry Operator, market analysis.
- .name Restrictions:
- Registrations in the .name TLD must constitute an individual's "Personal Name". For purposes of the .name restrictions (the "Restrictions"), a "Personal Name" is a person's legal name, or a name by which the person is commonly known. A "name by which a person is commonly known" includes, without limitation, a pseudonym used by an author or painter, or a stage name used by a singer or actor.
- .eu With respect to any registration of an .EU second level domain name, you affirm your agreement with the following term(s):
- I hereby agree that the Registry is entitled to transfer the data contained in this application to third parties (i) if ordered to do so by a public authority, carrying out its legitimate tasks; and (ii) upon demand of an ADR Provider as mentioned in section 16 of the Terms and Conditions which are published at www.eurid.eu; and (iii) as provided in Section 2 (WHOIS look-up facility) of the .eu Domain Name WHOIS Policy which is published at www.eurid.eu.
- .it With respect to any registration of an .IT second level domain name, you declare that you:
- i) are aware and agree that the registration and management of a domain name is subject to the "Rules of assignment and management of domain names in ccTLD.it" and "Regulations for the resolution of disputes in the ccTLD.it "and their subsequent amendments;
ii) are aware and agree that in the case of erroneous or false declarations in this request, the Registry shall immediately revoke the domain name, or proceed with other legal actions. In such case the revocation shall not in any way give rise to claims against the Registry;
iii) release the Registry from any liability resulting from the assignment and use of the domain name by the natural person that has made the request;
iv) accept the Italian jurisdiction and laws of the Italian State.
- i) are aware and agree that the registration and management of a domain name is subject to the "Rules of assignment and management of domain names in ccTLD.it" and "Regulations for the resolution of disputes in the ccTLD.it "and their subsequent amendments;
- .ca With respect to any registration of a .ca second level domain name, you declare that you agree to abide by the terms of the .CA registration agreement.
- .dev HTTPS requirement:
- Dev is a more secure TLD, meaning that HTTPS is required for all .dev websites. In order for it to work properly in browsers you must first configure HTTPS hosting. For more information about configuring HTTPS, please click here. To obtain more information on SSL certificates, please visit your hosting service provider or get a free SSL certificate from Let's Encrypt here.
Renewal, Billing, and Expiration Policy
Customer's new and transferred-in domain registrations will be set to automatically renew upon expiration. The credit or debit card used for registrations will default to "autopay," and Customer's card on file will be charged for future renewals. Customer will still have the option to change the renewal status in the account panel (choosing instead to allow expiration of the domain, or to receive an email notification of an impending expiration at which point inaction will result in expiration of the domain).
Customers who have auto-renew enabled for a domain will be charged, and have the domain renewed, 31 days prior to the expiration date of the domain (your credit card on file will be immediately charged for the renewal amount). If the billing is unsuccessful, we will change the auto-renew status of the domain to "ask," and you'll be sent an email notice with instructions for renewal. You will have to manually re-enable the auto-renew status of your domain if billing is unsuccessful. Customers who have domains that are considered "auto-renew-only" by the registry will also be charged 31 days prior to the expiration date of the domain, but will renew automatically on the expiration date.
In the event that a Domain expires, DreamHost will hold the expired Domain for up to 30 days as a courtesy and not as an obligation (contractual or otherwise). 30 days after expiration, the Domain will be placed in Redemption. During the Redemption period the Domain will be inaccessible and unable to be registered elsewhere. In order to bring a Domain out of Redemption, Subscriber must pay the Redemption Fee associated with each particular Domain expiration (fees are reflected in the chart above), as well as a Renewal Fee for the current year. Domain registration vouchers cannot be applied toward the cost of Redemption. If the Domain is not redeemed within 74 days of expiration, it will be set to Pending Delete status by the domain registry. After the Pending Delete status expires, the Domain will be released for registration. During the Pending Delete period, the Domain will be inaccessible and unrecoverable. Redemption fees vary according to each domain registry and are subject to change without notice.
At least once per month prior; per week prior; and per week after expiration, DreamHost will remind Customer about these expiration dates by email. These emails will be sent to the email address selected in Customer's Contact Preferences and to the email address of the Domain Registrant.
Whois Privacy Services
Please note that DreamHost's privacy services are now governed by the Proxy Protection Agreement.
60-Day Transfer Opt-Out Information
ICANN's Transfer Policy requires a 60-day transfer lock to apply to your domain name(s) in the event of any "Change of Registrant." DreamHost currently locks your domain name for any change involving your WhoIs info, or when toggling your Proxy Protection privacy service on or off.
This feature is designed to protect you. However, one way to avoid this 60-day lock is to opt out via Panel for that particular domain name before making any changes.
By opting out of the 60-day transfer lock, you agree that the account owner and the registrant of the applicable domain name have opted out of any 60-day transfer lock that would otherwise be applied to your domain name per ICANN's Transfer Policy due to a "Change of Registrant" as defined by ICANN, or by DreamHost as a result of any other WHOIS or privacy service changes. The opt out will only apply to this particular domain name in your account. To avoid ambiguity, the term "registrant" refers to the true individual and/or entity who registers a domain name and whose information is escrowed by DreamHost as valid whois information; this does not refer to any privacy service whose name replaces the true registrant's identity in public Whois information (such as Proxy Protection). DreamHost is not responsible for any domain, account, or security issues that arise due to your decision to opt out of the 60-day lock. Please note that the parameters that trigger the 60-day transfer lock are subject to change without notice.