20 Years in Tech: DreamHost’s Timeline of Fortunate Events
Twenty years in tech. That’s a long time! DreamHost is almost old enough to rent a car!
We’ve been through a lot over the last two decades, and those events have helped shape who we are today. Life moves fast and, like a blue shell in Mario Kart, there’s no stopping it.
We may have started as a simple web hosting company, but we’ve grown to offer even more advanced services like managed WordPress hosting and powerful cloud computing and storage options.
We’re taking a nostalgic look back at the last 20 years of DreamHost because we’re proud of who we are! After all, if you can’t love yourself, who can you love?
Back to the Start
- DreamHost is born! Our four founders register DreamHost.com on September 23, 1997.
- We sign our first lease in a data center, not a dorm room!
- Bandwidth pricing was insane by today’s standards. We paid $1000 per megabit on a shared T1 line!
- Move into our first office building in Huntington Park, California. It’s featured in the seminal Tony Danza classic, She’s Out of Control.
- Desks are old doors laid across filing cabinets. Real desks are expensive!
- We throw our first Halloween party — the DreamHost party of the year!
- We are growing and need to scale! We migrate our backend to entirely new infrastructure, which we call “DH2.”
- We ramp up marketing in a big way with some crazy sales and limited-time pricing. Customer count starts to climb!
- We move out of East Los Angeles and open offices in Brea, Downtown Los Angeles, and San Francisco.
- Resource constraints begone! UNLIMITED disk space, storage, and transfer make their debut to eager customers.
- Move to a new office in downtown Los Angeles, 50 stories up.
- We are named to the WorldBlu list of democratic, freedom-centered workplaces!
- Move away from network storage and start storing data locally on customer machines. Site performance improves overnight for thousands of customers!
- We define our acceptable use policy. We support the Open Web and all of the thoughts and opinions that come with it.
- DreamHost is named to the OC Register’s 2010 list of Top Workplaces!
- A company-wide vote leads us to select Simon Anderson as our first CEO!
- We sign on to join the OpenStack Foundation!
- We publicly denounce SOPA to defend free speech.
- DreamHost partners with Cloudflare to bring the power of a free CDN to our entire fleet of customers.
- We begin to sponsor WordCamps and team with City Year for a company-wide Day of Service!
- DreamHost launches DreamCompute and DreamObjects.
- Our uber-popular Reach Out & Touch You Tour takes us on the road to meet and celebrate DreamHost customers!
- DreamHost launches DreamPress, our premium managed WordPress hosting offering.
- We partner with eNom to handle domain registrations and renewals for us.
- We announce our support of the Open Invention Network and its mission to promote the open sharing and usage of royalty-free software patents to Linux-users everywhere.
- The inaugural DreamHost user conference, DreamCon, takes place in downtown Los Angeles.
- DreamSpeed CDN launches, bringing the power of a global CDN to DreamObjects users worldwide.
- Redhat acquires our spin-off company, Inktank, for $190 million.
- Dreamhost wins 2014 Business Choice Award from PCMag.com
- DreamHost rebrands with an all-new logo and website.
- DreamHost joins Internet Infrastructure Coalition (i2Coalition).
- We declare February to be “International Open Source Appreciation Month.”
- We release our first ever Transparency Report.
- With our SSD rollout, we bring ultra-fast hard drives with no moving parts to shared hosting, DreamPress, and dedicated servers.
- We expand our data center footprint to Hillsboro, Oregon, and sign a lease for an office in Portland!
- Let’s Encrypt brings HTTPS to everyone, and DreamHost is a proud launch partner with fully integrated support.
- We move our documentation from a wiki to a real knowledge management system and take the wraps off of our own automated Malware Remover called DreamShield!
- Email at DreamHost got better as we partner with atmail and Vade Secure for better performing, less spammy inboxes.
- DreamPress receives support for git and multiple domains!