The Product Marketing Manager provides marketing and sales support for their product. They are largely responsible for new product and feature launches, including product messaging and strategies to obtain new and retain existing customers.
- The Product Marketing Manager defines buyer personas for their product in conjunction with the Product Manager. Buyer personas are often the same person as user personas in the individual/small business web hosting market, but they can be different.
- Needs to be a product/industry expert – able to make product decisions and influence product improvements or changes.
- S/he creates market messages that resonate with target users, especially on how the product solves their problems. S/he creates content for the DreamHost website, blogs and other outlets based on this product messaging.
- The Product Marketing Manager outlines the the typical buying process to assist in the development of streamlined online purchasing.
- The Product Marketing Manager develops and implements product launch plans. These plans outline requirements for launching new major products. S/he works with all appropriate teams to enable a successful product launch.
- S/he creates the marketing plan which focus on methods for customer acquisition and customer retention. The Product Marketing Manager works closely with the Marketing teams to identify effective marketing strategies.
- Using key metrics, the Product Marketing Manager measures the effectiveness of product marketing programs and adjusts marketing strategy based on said metrics to optimize revenue.
- The Product Marketing Manager utilizes competitive intelligence to drive market leadership and identifies best opportunities for lead generation. This is often based on effectiveness of previous campaigns.
- Many customers find out about products through well developed thought leadership content. The Product Marketing Manager develops thought-leading content that can be used at events, in blogs, in white papers, in social media and other potential communication channels.
- The Product Marketing Manager seeks customer reference material that can be used to promote new sales. In addition, they seek industry references that can provide product credibility.
- Because the Product Marketing Manager understands the typical buying process, s/he aligns any required sales tools to match the needs of the buyer and/or partner during the buying process.
- The Product Marketing Manager educates the Shared resource teams on new products during product launch planning. (This can be done by dividing the responsibility up with the Product Manager. The Product Manager educates more technical employees, the Product Marketing Manager educates more business employees, such as Sales.)
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field required, MBA preferred
- 5+ years experience in product marketing and community, with a solid track record of driving revenue growth.
- Experience owning a product portfolio or a business unit in a General Manager, Product Lead/Manager, or similar capacity.
- 5+ years’ technical marketing experience.
- Hosting industry experience a plus.
- Effective understanding of latest technologies and should identify how to apply them in marketing.
- Excellent copywriting skills and should be able to rework technical content for a wider audience.
- Sound understanding of marketing principles.
*It is DreamHost policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.